Low-Carb Eggplant Parmesan Lasagna RecipeAuthor: Diplomat Pharmacy Date: February 14, 2020
Counting carbs doesn’t mean you have to miss out on your favorite Italian indulgences! This low-carb eggplant lasagna has that decadent pasta night feel you’ve been craving and won’t upset your diet.
Download recipe card or nutrition facts:
Low-Carb Eggplant Lasagna
Makes 4 servings
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Cooking utensils: Paper towel, 2 baking sheets, sauté pan, 8 x 8 glass baking dish, knives, medium mixing bowl, small mixing bowl, aluminum foil
- 2 medium-sized eggplants, cut into rounds or strips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 cup reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- Black pepper to taste
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 16 ounces low-sugar marinara sauce
- 1/3 cup mushrooms, diced
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1. Rinse all the veggies and preheat oven to 400 F.
- 2. Cover two baking sheets with foil, spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- 3. Remove the ends of the eggplants (you do not need to peel the eggplant) and cut into rounds or long strips.*
- 4. Place the eggplant on the baking sheets and brush with olive oil. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning and black pepper. Bake 20–25 minutes.
- 5. In a sauté pan, add the mushrooms and onions and cook until the onions are just beginning to get soft.
- 6. Put the marinara sauce into a medium-size bowl. Mix the mushrooms and onions into the marinara sauce.
- 7. Spray an 8 x 8 glass baking dish with cooking spray. Add 1/3 of the marinara sauce and veggie mixture to the bottom of the pan. Add a layer of eggplant rounds or strips to cover. Sprinkle with 1/2 the mozzarella cheese. Add another layer of sauce and eggplant; then, another layer of sauce and mozzarella.
- 8. In a small bowl, mix together Parmesan cheese and almond flour. Sprinkle over top of lasagna.
- 9. Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes until cheese is browned or top begins to crisp.
- 10. Serve with fresh basil.
*Pro tip: Press eggplant strips with paper towel to remove excess moisture.
Most Recent PostsMay 13, 2020
Laughter as Medicine: How Humor Helps With a Chronic ConditionMay 13, 2020
Exercise and Chronic Conditions
You Might Also Like
- Nutrition Eat the Rainbow: Go Purple for Your Heart and Your Brain
- Lifestyle, Mental Health In Sickness and in Health: Chronic Health Conditions and Relationships
- Recipes Italian Pasta Salad Recipe
- Nutrition The DASH for Heart Health
- New Diagnosis What Not to Say to People Who Have Chronic Health Conditions
- Nutrition The Diplomat Cookbook